Thursday, July 2, 2009

Music Video #62 (Day 2 of 2009)

Today's video is Roller Coaster of Love by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Don't they require people to wear shirts and shoes on rides?



The video starts with a logo for MJ Studios. What's that? Is that a studio owned by that guy? You know, that guy I refuse to mention? Eh, could be anybody.

We next see a POV shot of someone on a roller coaster. We're watching a cartoon and soon we see it's a Beavis and Butthead cartoon. Or movie, as we eventually find out. This is a music video for their 1994 film. I remember being shocked that it got two thumbs up. I thought it would be hated by critics.

I was in the eighth grade when I first heard about them. I had no use for the music videos but the episodes themselves were funny. One in particular that amused me was when St. Peter bored Beavis with a list of his sins. Beavis chose hell over listening to the number of times he touched himself.

Anywho, the beat starts and we can tell that THIS AIN'T YOUR FATHER'S Roller Coaster of Love. One of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, who looks like he's in a different style than the Mike Judge-everse, tells us that he has a funny feeling. You know the kind. In case you don't, we next see a woman who could have easily appeared in King of the Hill unbutton her shirt. This is followed by a very nervous Beavis and Butthead so I assume they have a near sexual situation in the movie. B&B: Do America was a road film so we see several scenes of them traveling by bus and plane. The song starts as we see the band performing the song in cartoon form. I have to say that the blond one looks like he could fit in with Beavis or Hank.

The woman who made our heroes nervous kisses what looks to be a biker, so I guess that's how that subplot ended. Way to spoil the movie, jerks! The chorus of the song is played and it's done by the original singers, The Ohio Players. You know, it is kind of funny watching a hardcore band rocking out to something so family friendly.

Beavis and Butthead fight over blonde chick. Chili Peppers ride the roller coaster. Butthead is shown to be lighter than a feather as he gets blown away inside a plane. Chili Peppers continue to loop around as the Ohio Players repeat themselves. Finally we see the band leader(?) on a rocket rapping. Luckily for me I don't think I really need to understand what he's saying. This song is really a remix more than anything. It's like when you take an old song and add your own take on it.

We see the roller coaster ride into a heart shaped love tunnel. You know what that means? Ask your parents. The blond guy suddenly looks like Letterman as he pumps his fists. We also see clips from a dream sequence where B&B grow large and stomp things. Inside the tunnel we see various demons. Oops, too bad RHCPs. This is immediately followed by a Beavis sperm swimming up to an egg. Thanks, video! I was afraid I was seeing a subtext that wasn't there but you made it text.




The cart gets through the now squirting tunnel and shoots from one track to another. Of course. Blond guy is now roller skating on the track because he's too cool to sit still. He's also wearing only his underwear, which is how I imagine the band because I only really know them through that one Simpsons episode. Stuff happens as we get to that one scene from the trailers where the guys are dancing and the camera tilts. I'm sure this scene needed computers and it looks a little dated. Still, it's what I think of when I think of this movie. Oh, jeez, we also see the blonde from earlier and she's not wearing any pants. Yep, way to blow that, even if I get that Beavis and Butthead aren't going to touch her anyway.

The ride ends with the cart getting so fast and hot that the band is naked as it crashes on the ground. Everybody is naked and have a good laugh. Then we pull back as we see that the roller coaster looks like a hot woman on her stomach.





There's not any need to examine the song. The RHCP just took an old tune, added their own bit to it to make it more accessible to MTV fans of the mid-nineties. Everybody does this kind of thing, even a dork like me. The only thing really objectionable is the cussing, but I didn't catch that in this video. The video is a literal roller coaster mixed with scenes from a unrelated movie. Good song, ok video.

The awesome part is when the blond guy roller skates. Who doesn't imagine themselves doing over-the-top stunts when they see tracks and that sort of thing?

3 comments:

Lita said...

Silly Tork. Obviously the awesome thing in this video is (are) Beavis and Butthead. Flea is awesome in his way, but not THAT awesome.

I saw the movie and there was a plausible reason for the woman to be taking off her top or whatever you were bitching about. Rest assured it's not because she thinks B&B are studs.

I don't know how family friendly the original song was. I heard some chick got murdered in it!!11!1!!

Here's your new video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jMyjjeSWak

wurwolf said...

Every time I see Beavis & Butthead I think of Anna, because I was laying in bed on a Saturday night and watching Beavis & Butthead when my water broke. Ten hours later out came Anna.

Lita said...

Ha ha!! Beavis and Butthead made Anna come!!