Thursday, July 9, 2009

Music Video #69 (Day 9 of 2009)

Today's naughty video is called Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots Part 1 and is made by The Flaming Lips. I'm sick of two-parters, aren't you?




Oh, boy, Japan. Welp, time to roll up the sleeves.

We start in some sort of night club. There's a big crowd standing around the band. We see disco balls and a Japanese woman waving her fan. We see a fish tank in the back ground and people dressed as animals. Not going to start anything. Just going to bite my tongue.

We get to the object of this scene, which is of a woman eating. The song starts and is about a woman named Yoshimi, even though I swear he pronounces it as Yoshima. I prefer the latter pronunciation. Presumably the music video wants us to link her to eating woman, because the video shows her punching as Flaming Lips mention Yoshimi's black belt. We see Yoshima greedily eating a ton of food. (Admittedly, it's fruits and vegetables, so she's not going to balloon.) Why? Because the government hired her to take on some robots. This must take place in Japan because it's only a matter of time before their cute-bots turn on them.

I was going to make light about how she has to discipline her body, but I'm better than that!

Flaming Lips are sitting around a table. It seems that they don't care for piles of fruit as much as Yoshima. The lyrics tell us that people doubt her. Well, I do, but it has to do with the fact that she's a small woman who I've only seen eating stuff. I'd back her in an eating contest before I ask her to protect my city. Then we see a ton of mascots dancing, some with cheerleaders. It sure would be tragic if those Pink Robots would enter this place and ATTACK! Yep, tragedy.

Confetti is thrown around as people start dancing. I guess this is a pre-celebration before Yoshimi smacks the robots around like Hellboy in the second movie. Singer keeps telling us that it would be bad if Yoshimi lost, which we've gathered by now.

Director, what's up with the bunnies? Did you miss this one?

The video ends with Yoshimi being playful with lead singer. He pushes her into a crowd, but the mosh pit actually rejects her. Yeah, no crowd surfing until after you beat up the pinkbots! Knowing Japan, Yoshimi herself has a robot that's part of a bigger robot that will have its parts combined when Yoshimi starts losing.

Since this is part 1, I can only assume that part 2 covers her victory or the battle.





Lita warned me that the video and audio were opposites in qualities, and I could cheat and guess she means the song is good and the video is bad. But I can tell on my own and know that that's the case. Having a woman eating? Not the best thing to base a video around. I kind of expect more energy, despite the fact that the song is easy paced. At least show us some pink robots. It's just some weirdness that doesn't go anywhere. The song is good, but a let down after the last couple days.

The awesome part of this video is the fish tank briefly in the background.

2 comments:

Lita said...

This video appearing on an Asian site is just a coincidence. The band isn't Asian.

"The awesome part of this video is the fish tank briefly in the background."

No, the awesome part of this video is the song. No part of the video itself is awesome. This video is terrible. The song is great, though, and was one of my key motivations in buying the album, a purchase I have not regretted. It's great.

"Since this is part 1, I can only assume that part 2 covers her victory or the battle."

True, but it's an instrumental (of sorts) so you'll have to decide for yourself who wins.



It was stupidly difficult to find a good version of your next video online. Apparently WMG thought the awesomest way ever to advertise this album was by bitching to YouTube about everybody who posted this video so that YouTube had to remove the sound from them. Cool, huh?

Anyway, this video goes a lot better if you can really look at it, so I've got a few links for you. The Veoh one seems to have the best picture quality, though it also has an ad to sit through at the beginning and a couple of retarded bugs blocking the corners. The other two links don't have this, but are lower picture quality. I recommend watching the Veoh one to get an idea of what's going on and then getting your screenshots from one of the other two, but you do whatever works best for you:

http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/horror/watch/v5403868nZNprqP
(No, I don't know why it's in the horror category)

http://video.libero.it/app/play?id=4cf0f4332296d14aac86813007ed8e85

http://www.dailymotion.com/related/x3cs8b/video/x181jg_rem-imitationoflifempg_music?hmz=74616272656c61746564

The Mickey said...

(No, I don't know why it's in the horror category)

Well, when Nosferatu is your lead singer......