Thursday, July 16, 2009

Music Video #75 (Day 15 of 2009)

Yesterday's video is called Moment of Weakness by the Bif Naked. I guess Buck was taken?



I wish I hadn't already watched this video, because I could have predicted that the song was about a relationship gone bad.

We start in some office on some floor of some building. The office is really quiet until Bif enters through an elevator. A guitar starts playing as she starts giving The Hand to every secretary in her path. This is how I would treat all people if I was a rock star.

Her band follows around as she continues walking around. You know what she reminds me of? A woman wrestler. She looks like she's swaggering around looking for an opponent to bodyslam. Her tattoos around her arm and her navel exposing outfit adds to that impression.

Bif tells us about some butthead stood her up once too many times. He left her in the rain because he's a neglectful bastard. You mean, he wasn't just late? He never picked her up? Damn, that is a good reason to be pissed. I know when I'm prepared to be picked up and the agreed time passes I start to get more and more impatient. She starts singing the refrain. Oops, she didn't mean what she said. It was just a moment of weakness. Oh boy. This isn't going to end well. Bif enters a random room and yells at some guy who's on the phone. Again, I would do that if I was a rocker too.

Next Bif tells us about how her boyfriend did nothing for her when she was sick with a bad flu. She later caught him kissing her...clone? Ok, now we're moving into crazy chick territory. She yells at some other guy in his office while singing the refrain. This is followed by her bugging random people who don't quite have cubicles. I'm feeling sorry for them. They probably just want to do their work and now they have to hear about this woman's boyfriend issues. She picks up a guy by the tie and shoves a picture of his girlfriend in his chest. It could be Bif but I can't tell. She laments about how their relationship is over and the love is gone while she gestures like crazy. Her band has now set up right behind her. Man, I bet it's Friday. Casual Rocking Friday! Or CasRocFri as they call it.

The video stops for a moment before getting up in our face. Now that I see Bif closer and without those tattoos she doesn't look too bad. I like her big eyes. Her band rocks out while the video uses a few quick cuts. Once again she takes back all her complaints. The video ends with her sticking out her tongue and wagging it. This is enough to defeat her embarrassed boyfriend so she bows to the applause from his coworkers.

Women are crazy.






The way the video plays, it'd make more sense if her moment of weakness was whatever got her into the relationship in the first place. Unless Bif is suppose to be crazy, she comes off as so self-confident she doesn't care what anybody thinks. The type of person who would use "grrl" unironically. It makes more sense if the song was about how she woke up and not how she's stuck.

Ignoring whatever the message of the song is, it's entertaining enough. I think Bif's strutting around carries the video and the song is fun.

The awesome part of this video is Bif's over-the-top gesturing. She comes off as a rapper towards the end.

1 comment:

Lita said...

I always took the "moment of weakness" to be whatever she keeps doing to stay in this stupid relationship with this idiot, but I can see your interpretation, too.

The awesome thing is rocking the office.

The un-awesome thing is the exes on Bif's hands. Really, Bif? Straight Edge? Bleh.

I Napstered your next song back when that was still legal. Don't tell the AMA:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWoMq46g0XU
That was back when downloading one song was still considered "sharing" and "discovering new music" and not "HORRIBLE ACT OF THIEVERY THAT ROBS THE VERY ARTISTS YOU CLAIM TO LOVE, YOU TERRIBLE TERRIBLE JERK!!!!"