Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Music Video #61 (Day 1 of 2009)

Welcome back to July, the month where I watch music videos I've never seen before and do my best to make sense of them, despite my ignorance of anything musical. The videos will be chosen once again by Lita. You can enjoy this feature by understanding how I see music videos or laughing at my ignorance of them.


So, Let's Get Down to Business!





Our first video of the year 09 is Sing by Travis. I don't have a joke about that. Great way to start!




Ok, now that I've watched the video I have to say that it reminds me of a Three Stooges short. That probably doesn't surprise you, but it specifically reminds me of the pie fight at the end of Three Sappy People. I'd go into detail about why this music video reminds me of that one short, but I doubt it's nothing more than a coincidence of the way the table is position.

Enough of that! How about the music video itself? We start at a ritzy ritz place with grandfather clocks and servants. We see seltzers and pies being made for a social gathering for some hoity toities. The song starts as our four knuckleheads, the members of Travis, ride on bikes in suits. We simultaneously see the band playing in sepia tone when suddenly the lead singer is attacked by a gold fish. Or that's the way it looks. Instead, we find out that some rich girl is watching him on tv and throwing magnetic darts at his face. So I guess the band members are playing themselves.

The song immediately talks about the singer's deteriorating relationship. Actually, he puts it all on his girlfriend who's going crazy. Why, because she tosses darts at you? Is it the fact that she has a pet monkey? Are you just jealous of her wealth? What? That's an old-fashioned tv she was watching, by the way. I think my uncle had one.

The band members continue riding until they arrive at stately whatever manor. When they arrive we see an old-fashioned car that looks like it came from the 30s. So I guess old-timey is a theme of the video. The boys look around the entrance. Singer is encouraging his gal to sing, because that will help her with her problems or something.

We meet the many people at the party, and yes, one of them wears a monocle that pops out of his eye. I think that's a requirement for this kind of thing. Do rich people really use monocles and get scandalized at the slightest thing anymore? Did they ever? Not a criticism of this video but I just wonder about this cliche in general.

The hosts recover quickly and everybody sits down to dinner. The band members are served lobster and stuff and have the same reaction I would have. How the heck do you eat this? I prefer when crustaceans are in cake form. So naturally, squirty foods squirt at nearby people, and it all leads to the inevitable food fight. It starts slow as the girl from earlier starts tossing food at lead singer. He tosses something back and he even catches an olive she throws out of thin air. Hey buddy, that's easy to do when you're the Gary Stu in your own video.

So the food fight starts and it's actually pretty entertaining. I know that I probably sound bored but I like this scene. We have the inevitable guy who ignores the fight while everybody else just goes crazy. The best part is the hostess picks up an OCTOPUS and just chucks it across the table! Awesome! I'm not a fan of slo-mo but it's great here. Eventually a fat chef brings out some pastries and everyone gets caked with... cake. At the end the chef sprays them all with frosting. Man, this looks gross but they sure do look like they're having fun. I envy the rich and their ability to act like children.

The song repeats a couple more verses which are similar to the first one. Girl sad. Solution: Sing!



I know I mocked this video for using corny comedy cliches, but I actually enjoyed it. Maybe I'm a sucker for a well done food fight. I think the connection between the song and the music video is that the rich gal is sad because she feels stuck in her situation and the singer is encouraging her to loosen up or something.

The song feels to me sad but kind of hopeful. I like it even it doesn't say much. I guess it doesn't have to.

The awesome part is when the hostess chucks the octopus.

2 comments:

wurwolf said...

Wooooo! It's back! I love July!

Lita said...

I read in an interview that the lead singer wrote this song about/to his girlfriend. He'd always try to get her to sing, and she always refused. To a professional musician it's kind of sad when somebody you like refuses to ever sing.

The food fight is VERY slapsticky, but I like that.

And for once you are absolutely right about the awesome thing. The octopus is great and is the best thing in this video. From the way it looks when it's flying, to how it synchs with the music, to how it lands, that part was done beautifully.

Your next video makes me think of Line Rider!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-lbIfaqm0U