Sunday, July 12, 2009

Music Video #72 (Day 12 of 2009)

Today's video is done by someone I'm actually familiar with. It's "No More 'I Love You's'" by Annie Lennox. I always think of her as "that orange hair lady." Hey, I'm more familiar with her than most people Lita tosses at me.




The video starts in a dark, smoky, ritzy theater house. We follow the camera around until we go up the leg of a DOH! It's not a woman. Instead it's a man who looks feminine despite having a beard, and he's not doing this for comedic reasons. The danger music stops and the song starts when the backup singer sings. I think I've heard this song before, but only because I recognize the backup singer's gibberish more than Annie or the original band who sung this song.

We watch as four men who are sorta dressed as sexy, clownish, angel ballerinas who are actually men dance by. Of course. I was going to use that before but I wimped out. The crowd is bored, and not thinking "buh?" like I would assumed they would. Must see this stuff all the time.

We finally see Annie as a spotlight falls on her. How do I describe her? Do I compare her hair to Mickey Mouse or Dilbert's Pointy Hair Boss? Jokes about her hair aside, she looks really good in this video. I'm not kidding. She's definitely a Mom I'd Like To Look At From A Distance And Hope She Doesn't See Me Because I'm Too Shy To Say Anything.

Annie hits some high notes early as she sings about her earlier, naive days. Basically she used to be the clingy girlfriend type, but now she's putting her foot down on her neglectful boyfriend. She doesn't want him to say "I Love You" because it's meaningless without actions. By the way, is Annie suppose to be like the Wicked Queen from Snow White? I don't know, it just popped into my head.




The guys take basket and starts tossing rose petals at her as she sings the refrain. They take off her cape, and now I'm ready to update her to "... I Would Walk up to But Run Away As Soon As She Turned My Way." She sings about how she was once a scared little girl but not anymore. The ballerinas jump around and sing and I guess they are kind of funny.

Annie sings the refrain again and we see people out of a turn of the century British play getting frisky. No, they're getting dressed for their own play. Or something. Then we get a brief bit with Annie playing as a character eavesdropping on rich fat guys and spooky women. I guess the video wasn't considered weird enough.

So more singing, and we see audience members wearing masks. What is it with plays and people wearing masks that has a default setting as creepy? Is it me? One of the ballerinas turns into a vampire and various cast members do stuff. I'm just going to say that I don't know what's going on now.

The video ends with a guy unmasks himself. HOLY CRAP, IT'S ... I don't know.





I like Annie Lennox. She did a great version of Walking in a Winter Wonderland. This is a great song and I've already admitted that I think she looks great in the video. The video is very well done but weird. I don't think it was really meant to connect to the song. I think it's just suppose to be haunting.

The awesome thing is obviously the singer herself.

1 comment:

Lita said...

A couple of awesome things:

1. The ballerinas. It takes some serious balls to rock a tutu and a goatee at the same time. On point, too! Good job!

2. Annie Lennox's hair. If I had more guts I'd want to try that on my own hair. Fortunately for everybody who associates with me as well as anybody who sits behind me in a theater, I don't.

Now watch this one!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q0fpJYsCVg