Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Music Video #67 (Day 7 of 2009)

Today's video must be crazy because it stars Beck. It's called E-Pro.




You know, after watching this video I wish the song had no lyrics at all. I find myself just want to watch and describe the visuals.

We start with Beck spinning around in what turns out to be his grave. Yep, good ol' Beck weirdness. This has a 3D feel to it because the entire video uses a black background with vector lines constantly being drawn. It's like watching an Atari arcade game come to life. Beck dances, sits on a shovel, digs up a dog, and fights skeletons. I can really see a game play like this.

As for the song...I don't want to be lazy, but I could sum it up by saying that Beck is incomprehensible but his songs are fun anyway. Seriously, I could say that and leave it there. The song is about him meeting someone and boasting at him. Or it's about how sucky the person he's singing to is. Or maybe that person is doing drugs or drinking alcohol. I can barely make out what Beck is saying, which happens when I listen to some of his songs, and the lyrics aren't helping me. I apologize if it seems that I'm taking the easy way out for the third straight entry, but I'm not up to date on the Beckian language.

After Beck escapes the cemetery, he gets into a bike with his dog. But this doesn't turn into an E.T. homage. Instead, the bike grows legs and starts climbing buildings. He climbs a ladder into a forest and walks upside down to find a diamond. Two birds suddenly attack and rip his head off. Yeah, if the video and song are related, it would be because the song is about some substance abuser. Or he just has a wild imagination. Something or other.

The birds drop Beck's head into a washing machine. Very apt image for this video. He starts swimming in a lake and is then shot out of a cannon by a frog. Can you even analyze this stuff? I say, sit back and enjoy. We end the video with Boney the dog digging up Beck's head to reattach to his body. This is followed by a vector demon head chasing Beck, who has to bounce on notes in the most video gamey part of this video.





I like this song even though I don't understand it at all. Love the video. I'll be surprise if it gets topped this month, at least in the near future.

The awesome part of this video is the bicycle that suddenly turns spider-like. Although it would make me nervous it was also very cool.

2 comments:

Lita said...

I was starting to feel like you were getting too literal with the songs and the lyrics and the videos, so I was happy when I saw that your next video just happened to be by Beck.

"Beck is incomprehensible but his songs are fun anyway."

That sums up most (though not all) Beck songs. A lot of times if you sit and listen to the thing long enough you can get meaning out of it, but you'll have to get through lots of figurative language and Beckisms first. It's cool, though. The songs sound great.

I first saw the video for this song shortly after the last July challenge ended and I said to myself, "DAMN! This would have been a great video for Tork to do!" The visuals are fantastic.

A nice quality version of this video evidently does not exist on the Internet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDeFYDk8atg

wurwolf said...

I would agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment Beck is incomprehensible but his songs are fun anyway.