Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Music Video #88 (Day 28 of 2009)

This video is called Goody Two Shoes. It's by Adam and the Ants. It's about a Hanna Barbara character, I think.



Or maybe not. This video starts with a middle aged butler serving drinks in a hotel. Inside is who I assume is Adam. He's dressed in leather pants and ties his shirt above his navel. Huh. He puts on a coat that doesn't cover up the silliness of what he's wearing below it, and he doesn't help by not buttoning it up. He passes his guitarist and bids him good bye.

He starts singing as he ends up in a dressing room. There are three women, and one of them looks very much like that guy who died recently when he was at his peak in the early 80s. Man, even then there were women who looked like him. Adam sings about how if you have your heart broken, just put on some make up and hide it. He sits down with the three women as the press snaps several pictures. I'd like to see what the tabloids say. Adam continues that if you can't say what you want to a gal, send something like a necklace instead.

Suddenly we're introduced to one of the reporters who is a repressed librarian type. Man, I can't wait until she takes those glasses off. The reporters point to Adam and accuse him of being a goody two shoes. I'm guessing that he's the filthiest thing in the world but the media needs him to seem innocent. Anyway, I guess the video is about a guy who doesn't want to be seen as virtuous so he's trying to break out and change that image.

The press asks him what he does, because if you don't drink or smoke, there must be something wrong with you. The song agrees, as it implies that the media is digging for something. Hey, I don't drink or smoke and there's nothing wrong with me. Oh, right, nobody cares. Forgot about that. The press will eat Adam up because the press is all powerful. Well, not really, but it is pretty powerful.

Adam starts flirting with the RL while we see what looks like that guy in one of his famous costumes. Meanwhile the press is going to be mean and stuff. It's going to try to compare Adam to Al Green. Who's that? Some guy who was a R&B guy who became a gospel singer for a while. May I ask why this is so bad? Maybe I'm missing something here. Does the press annoy hard types by making them look soft? If he was always soft up to this point, why is that the media's fault? Why I am I examining this?

Everybody dances. Adam sings that no one is the boss of him! He's not going to let them make a superstar out of him. I guess he wants to be indie or something. He spends the rest of the video trying to get the RL's glasses off. He hops over her while she lies in bed, but this unique mating ritual fails. Finally he gets her to let down her hair, which is always important when you're trying to have your way with a repressed librarian. Butler peaks through a giant keyhole. Adam finally takes her glasses off and ... Actually it's kinda disappoining. The video ends with her thigh on his hip.





This is a fun little song that has a fifties feel to it. I think it's the fifties. It reminds me of last year's Strut by the Stray Cats which was a song made for the eighties with a feel of a different era. The video is really strange, and I'm not sure what they were going for with the tied up shirt. I'm keeping my guesses to myself.

The awesome thing is Sir Isaac Newton. Carol Burnett thought he was so dreamy!

4 comments:

BandOfGypsys said...

This was my suggestion to Lita to send it to you. The video sort of got some recent notice during the last Presidential campaign. The lead female reporter, British actress Caroline Munro ("The Spy who Loved Me", "The Golden Voyage of Sinbad", "Captain Kronos:Vampire Hunter", the dead wife in the "Dr. Phibes" movies), is dressed in an outfit that many are saying may have infuenced a certain recent Republican Vice Presidential candidate's wardrobe choice! Think about it: Large glasses, hair tied up and a business suit! I wonder if Caroline gets asked that question when she shows up at sci-fi/horror conventions?

Tork said...

I saw that, but she's become such a polarizing figure that I decided to not mention that.

You should have seen the small blogs that attracted huge amount of talking pointers last year by saying the smallest bad thing about HE WHO SHALL NOT BE NAMED.

Lita said...

"I'm not sure what they were going for with the tied up shirt."

I'm going to guess the answer to that question is "The 80's."

New song!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ6zJrnJNCo

Oh, wait. Sorry. Wrong thing. Ok. Your actual video comes in two flavors. There's the original version here in nice quality: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-yNduHhoWc
And there's the peppier remix here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM5BxEXQFoI

I like the sound of the remix way more, but the picture is lower quality and has a couple of annoying bugs on it. The lyrics and the visuals are the same between the two, so go with whichever you want.

wurwolf said...

I loved this video back in the day. It's the epitome of early 80s videos, before Michael Jackson came along with his fancy Thriller video and messed everything up.