Monday, July 13, 2009

Music Video #73 (Day 13 of 2009)

We have a real bastard of a video today. It's Mixed Up S.O.B. by The Presidents of the United States. The video was directed by Weird Al.





This video continues a theme of relationships going sour. It also has a cool gimmick, like the 3d pin art from Only. In this video we see band members in flip books held up to the camera. We also see lots of optical illusions in the background.

Lead singer appears in a few flip books as he talks about his ex. He talks as if to his friends and says "You think she controlled me? Meh. That spoiled child just held her breath until she died." I don't think she's literally suppose to be dead as the song suggests, because that's darker than anything in the video. Anyway, he invoked the OJ Simpson rule and says that IF she was dead, it doesn't matter to him because she was crazy anyway. He calls her a son of a bitch despite the fact that she's a she, unless the video is implying something. I think they just needed a certain amount of syllables and went with S.O.B.

Second verse. We again hear that she was controlling. Oh yeah, or are just a big wienie?! She's quick to anger, not attractive, and makes you crazy as well. I guess we're suppose to be glad for him for getting away from her, but it does make him sound like a wimp for not breaking up earlier. I like the flip book eyes shown during this part. It reminds me of that famous bit from the silent film Ella Cinders.




Whoa! The refrain starts again and we get a red, white, and blue effect in the background as the band rocks. We even see lead singer's face appear in an iPhone. I wish I had an iPhone. I mean, I wish I OWNED an iPhone. We see a cartoon bull in one of the books right before we see the lead singer circle around in an optical illusion room.

The breakdown shows a third hand playfully grab the books. This is followed by Guitar Hero 3. Yep, they made this specifically for the video. Luckily I'm not the type who thinks watching video games is boring. I have that game but I haven't played it since I beat the easy mode. I would bomb horribly at what they're showing now. I guess they're worried that the game is boring so they stick flip books over that, including the lead singer's rotating head.

We next get to a part with hands talking to each other. Actually only one hand talks, and the other hands are back up singers. The point of this part is to tell us that the relationship was miserable and life was passing singer by, so ex had to go. He even reveals that he wasn't talking about her with his friends, and he blames this on her craziness. Uh huh. At this part the band really look like they're having fun. Something tells me that someone had a crazy girlfriend. At one point we have the camera looking up at lead singer. I don't want to be down here!

The video ends with lead singer frowning. That face he makes is so funny that I had to include a picture of that.




Thank you Weird Al for your contributions to this video. A fun song and a great video. I swear I've heard this song before but I can't place it.

The awesome part is the optical illusion room. Oh sure, it'll probably cause you to go blind, but I bet it's a great place to skateboard.

1 comment:

Lita said...

I was actually pretty surprised when I first noticed that we hadn't done anything by The Presidents of the United States of America in this feature. They make consistently great stuff, and have for a long time.

The Presidents aren't the best band there is, and their songs aren't always the most brilliant things ever written, but they are a lot of fun. The same thing holds true now that was true back when I first started listening to them in high school. When you are listening to a Presidents of the USA album, you are having a good time.

Awesome thing is the talking hands.

This next song is in honor of my buddy Mickety who ain't with us no more (usually):
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8940292941096986937